UFW Boycott

AS ELECTIONS proceed in California to determine which union, if any, will represent the state's 250,000 agricultural workers, it is important to remember that the struggle to gain fair representation for those workers is not over. The California Labor Relations Act, effective August 28, guarantees agricultural workers for the first time the right to decide through free, secret-ballot elections whether they will be represented by the United Farm Workers, the Teamsters, or no union at all. But the law is no guarantee of a speedy and just resolution to that bitter conflict. The votes still need to be certified, and the contracts still need to be signed. Until then, the UFW boycott against non-union grapes and lettuce and against Gallo wines will and should remain in effect.

The long history of organizing efforts in the California fields proves, if nothing else, that agricultural workers need the backing of a union to help them maintain a reasonable standard of living and a modicum of personal dignity in the face of organized agribusiness interests. The history of the last ten years shows, in addition, that the United Farm Workers Union represents the best chance for those workers to gain control over their work and their lives. The Teamsters, through intimidation, violence, corruption, racism and an unhealthy willingness to cooperate with the growers have proven themselves inadequate at best as representatives of the farm workers.

Press accounts of election results in the fields, however, show the Teamsters and the UFW in a near draw among those workers--a sizable majority--who favor union representation. The UFW leadership claims its share of the vote has been reduced by Teamster and grower intimidation, and by the apparent reluctance of state officials to safeguard workers' rights and reject invalid Teamster ballots.

The process of elections and certification will probably take months. The UFW will then face the problem of getting hostile growers to sign contracts at those companies where the UFW wins representation. The union is now calling on consumers across the country and around the world to boycott non-union products until the contracts are signed. Their call and their cause deserve support.