Restic Says Kubacki Will Start Brown Game, But Injured Quarterback Remains in Doubt

By Amy Sacks

Jim Kubacki has not been chuckling as much as usual lately. The storybook tale of the junior's unexpected ascent to the top of the Harvard quarterback roster and the nation's offensive standings has taken a tragic twist.

The Kubacki shoulder curse, which nailed the southpaw to the bench his first two years, struck again November 1 at Penn. It is still plaguing him this week, just days before the Brown game in which the Ivy title will be won or lost for the Crimson.

Fair-Haired

The fair-haired and soft-spoken Kubacki was unusually solemn Tuesday night. "It's been a good year," he said. "I'd like to do it all the way. What can I say?"

Kubacki confided Tuesday that he thinks he may not be ready for the Brown game. But Harvard coach Joe Restic remains optimistic. He said yesterday that despite Kubacki's own doubts and locker-room rumors to the contrary, Kubacki will start for the Crimson on Saturday.

"He's third in the nation in total offense, you know," Restic said, with a now-confident smile. "He's been practicing this week and he's in good condition. If he can run and throw and give us all that he can, Kubacki will start in the Brown game."

But that "if" is a large one, resting squarely on the word "throw." At yesterday's practive, a sweat-suited Kubacki went through the motions. But he was tossing, not throwing still solemn, as if the realization of his dream depends on forces over which he has no control. Once again Kubacki is waiting to get off the bench.

Kubacki watched from the sidelines last Saturday as fickle Crimson fans found a new hero, replacement Tim Davenport. Two weeks ago, the sophomore didn't even enjoy the dubious status of being "the other Crimson quarterback."

But at the end of the Princeton game, after rallying Harvard to 20 points and a near miraculous coup, Davenport has become "the other Harvard hope."

Davenport's reward was practice with the first line all this week. If Kubacki cannot start, Davenport will. But Davenport's feeling matches that of his teammates: It should be Kubacki.

"I went in for one quarter and did a good job," Davenport said Tuesday. But there was no pressure on me; I had nothing to lose. It's no comparison to Jimmy who has done a great job for six games. He's better than most of the quarterbacks in the nation. He deserves it."

Restic said yesterday that he was impressed with Davenport's performanve last Saturday. "You never know how good a player really is until you put him in a game, and watch how he handles pressure in the films afterward," Restic explained.

But when asked if he would have chosen a different starting quarterback had he known all that he knows now, Restic's response was quick and firm: "I would go with Jimmy. There's no doubt about it."

So, next Saturday, in the most important and probably most physically demanding game of the season, Restic will start his top-string Q.B. Jim Kubacki. Kubacki's shoulder is improving, and Restic said he is willing to work the junior as far as he can go.

"Part of the game is working through the hurt," Restic explained. "As long as the doctor says it's okay."

Is Restic thinking about saving Kubacki if necessary?

"Save him for what?" answered Restic with uncharacteristic impatience. "There's absolutely nothing to save him for. Not the Yale game. This is it."