JOCK SHORTS

The varsity hockey team will scrimmage Merrimack this Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in Watson Rink. The squad may still be without the services of captain Kevin Carr, who has been sidelined with an ankle injury. The icemen lost their first scrimmage of the season last Saturday night before a wild crowd at UNH.

The highlight of their exhibition season will be a game against the U.S. Olympic team on November 24th in Boston Garden. The game, slated for an 8:30 start, will follow a skating exhibition that will include Bobby Orr, Dorothy Hamill, Paul McGrath, Tina Noyes and U.S. Gold Dance champions Coleen O'Conner and James Millen Jr.

In basketball, former Northeastern assistant coach John "Buddy" O'Neil has been named Harvard's freshman coach. He replaces Mike Jarvis, who is now Tom Sanders' varsity assistant coach. Jarvis had a 32-2 record over two years as freshman coach.

Bill Carey was elected captain of the varsity team. Carey led the team in shooting percentage last season (.520) and is the leading returning scorer (10.6 points per game average).

The 14th Annual Radcliffe Invitational Swimming Championships begin tomorrow at the IAB. The Radcliffe squad has a new assistant coach, Cindy Richards, a 1975 Brigham Young graduate.

The Radcliffe field hockey game scheduled yesterday against B.U. was rained out, and will be rescheduled either Tuesday or Thursday of next week.

Dave Acorn leads all Ivy League soccer scorers with eight goals. Harvard (3-2) takes on Brown (3-2) tomorrow, while league-leading Cornell (5-0) journeys to Dartmouth in an attempt to clinch the title. Penn is at Columbia and Princeton is at Yale.

Brown receiver Bob Franham was named ECAC, Sports Illustrated and Ivy player of the week after hauling in 14 passes for 186 yards and one touchdown against Cornell last Saturday. The 14 catches broke the league record formally held by Pat McInally and former Bruin Chip Regine.

Farnham is the league's top pass catcher, with 40 grabs for 504 yards, followed by Princeton's Neil Chamberlain and Harvard's Jim Curry. Farnham also leads the nation with 49 grabs for 639 yards.

Saturday marks the third time in as many years that the Harvard-Brown football contest has been selected by ABC for its regional broadcast. The network will send its first team to Providence, Keith Jackson, Bill Fleming, Bud Wilkinson and Jim Lampley.

Harvard running back Tommy Winn (532 yards this season) needs only 51 more yards to reach the 1,000 yard career plateau. Neal Miller has already reached that mark, and if Winn joins him it would be the first time Harvard has had two 1,000 yard runners on one team.