Yale Forces Showdown By Downing Tigers, 24-13; Big Red Loses to Big Green; Columbia Tops Penn

By John Donley

While Jim Kubacki & Co. was sticking it to Brown Saturday, Yale set the stage for next week's Big Game with a 24-13 victory at Princeton, Dartmouth drilled winless, hopeless Cornell, 33-10, at Hanover and Columbia downed Penn, 28-24, at New York.

The Elis broke open a scoreless defensive contest early in the second quarter when, with the ball on Yale's three-yard line, halfback Don Gesicki took a second-down pitchout, dropped back in the end zone and tossed a high pass to Gary Fencik, who hauled it in and streaked down the auswkubw for the TD.

Yale ran up a 17-0 lead by the start of the fourth quarter, but Tiger quarterback Ron Beible scored twice in less than three minutes to close the gap for Princeton. Yale countered with a 70-yard scoring drive, capped by John Pagliaro's 26-yard touchdown run to put the game out of reach.

Yale Tops Princeton

Yale out-rushed Princeton by 196 to 52 yards for the game, which Eli coach Carmen Cozza called "maybe our best football game this year."

Cornell kicker Burnie Synalski opened the scoring in the opening minutes of the game with a 38-yard field goal, but Dartmouth dominated the Big Red the rest of the way as quarterback Mike Brait connected with Tom Fleming for seven passes and three touchdowns.

Columbia Outrushed

Brait and Fleming clicked on 41-yard first quarter, 2-yard second quarter, and 52-yard third quarter scoring tosses as the Big Green accumulated 257 yards through the air to Cornell's 32. Dartmouth also outrushed Cornell by 188 to 131 yards.

Dartmouth also scored on Bob Freidl's 23-yard touchdown run and on 37- and 40-yard field goals by Nick Lowery.

Columbia opened a 14-point first period lead on Doug Jackson's two touchdowns, then held off several Penn comeback attempts for the victory.

Jackson, a senior, galloped for 194 yards and three touchdowns for the Lions, setting Columbia single-season and career rushing records along the way. Jackson now has 787 yards on the season and 1401 yards for his career. Besides two opening period scoring runs of 3 and 50 yards, Jackson also hit paydirt with a 2-yard blast in the second quarter. Columbia coach Bill Campbell credited Jackson's offensive line with doing a strong blocking job.

In next week's contests, Brown (4-1-1) will take on Columbia (2-4) at Providence, Dartmouth (3-2-1) will journey to Princeton (3-3) as both teams vie for a winning record, and Cornell (0-6) will play Penn (1-5) at Philadelphia in a battle to keep out of the Ivy League cellar.