Dorms Blasted

By William J. Callahan

Freshman residents of the four Union dorms are greatly dissatisified with their living conditions, according to a recently released Quad Committee report on housing.

In a questionnaire distributed by the committee, freshmen were asked to rate their living conditions on a scale of one to ten, with one constituting the highest rating. Freshman males living in the Yard responded with an average rating of 4.70; those living at the Quad with a 4.10. Men living in the Union dorms, however, responded with a 5.84.

Michael Palm, a proctor living in Hurlbut, said yesterday the major source of discontent is the Union dorms' general state of disrepair. "The dorms are old and very poorly kept up," he said.

The Union dorms receive less attention from Buildings and Grounds than dorms in the Yard," he added. "Continuous harrassment is needed to get anything done."

Several students in the dorms agreed yesterday with Palm's observations, citing instances of long waits for requested repairs.

A proctor in Greenough said yesterday the dorm is "in bad need of a facelift."

Leo J. Dunn, operations manager of Buildings and Grounds, said yesterday he feels the allegations are unfair. "No more or no less attention is paid to the Union dorms," he said. Dunn added that no major renovations of the buildings are planned.