Doris Kearns and Richard Goodwin Marry, As Kennedy, Mailer and White Spectate

By Richard S. Lee

Doris H. Kearns, associate professor of Government, married Richard N. Goodwin yesterday in a ceremony at the Goodwin residence in Lincoln.

Kearns and Goodwin have been the center in a controversy involving a book on the late president, Lyndon B. Johnson. Kearns is presently being considered for tenure, and had submitted a draft of the book to the Government Department.

After a brief collaboration on the book, the two former aides to Johnson dissolved their professional relationship. Kearns is now writing the book alone and expects to complete it in the spring.

Notables Attend

About 170 people attended the wedding, including Boston Mayor Kevin H. White, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.), and Norman Mailer '43.

Several members of the Harvard faculty were present, including Arthur Maas, professor of Government, and Don K. Price, dean of the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Richard E. Neustadt '42, professor of Government and a close friend of Kearns, could not give away the bride as planned because he is recuperating from recent surgery. He was represented by his wife and daughter.

The ecumenical ceremony was performed by Rabbi Sumner Z. Kaplan and Rev. Michael Groden. The single-ring service included several quotations from the Bible in addition to writings by the couple.

Goodwin's nine-year-old son by a previous marriage also aided in the proceedings. He and several of his friends cut the huge four-tier wedding cake.

"A Glorious Setting"

A small band played dancing music throughout the afternoon, but the couple departed early. The honeymoon location has not been disclosed. The wedding site will also be the permanent residence for the Goodwins when they return.

"It was in a lovely pre-revolutionary house," Bertha Neustadt said. "It was a glorious setting with rolling hills, just perfect for the wedding."