Harvard Faculty Reveal True Selves

Jocks Crawl Out of Woodwork

By John Blondel

Old jocks never die, they just join the Harvard Faculty--or so it would seem.

Many Faculty members mentioned a need for tension release and a desire to keep physically fit as their major reasons for athletic activity.

Although he expressed a repugnance for "contact" sports, George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology, said his interest in physical activity was great. Skiing and horseback riding are Wald's "special loves."

Wald said he dislikes the "nervous" eastern horse, preferring instead the western variety, which is both "sensible and a friend." In the west, Wald added, one can "ride for a week without hitting a fence. I love it."

Wald said he hopes to ski this winter, and described several days he spent on the slopes of the Swiss Alps last winter.

Assistant professor of Government Peter Lange said his favorite sports are tennis and squash, and that he tries to play two games a week. Once in a while, Lange said, "I like to play playground basketball in my neighborhood." Lange cited enjoyment and "release of tension" as the reasons for his activity.

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, shares Lange's interest in squash and tennis, saying "they are convenient, on time, and you don't need many people to play them." Steiner added that when playing squash, he forgets about the office for half an hour, which Steiner said he has difficulty doing any other way.

Easy Rider

Guido Guidotti, professor of Biochemistry, who lives in Newton, said he rides his bicycle in to the College whenever the weather is amenable. Guidotti explained his strenuous exercise by saying, "Nobody in the Boston Marathon has ever died of a heart attack," as far as he knows.

Another faculty member whose preferences in exercise tend toward the strenuous is Martin Kilson, professor of Government. Kilson said he runs two miles every day that he can. "I started running for my health two months ago, but now it's a pleasure," he said, adding that running has become "compulsive" and that he "hates" to miss a day because of things like traveling that interrupt his routine.

There are also Faculty members who take a less rigorous approach to sports. Karl E. Case, head tutor in Economics, expressed an interest in squash and tennis along with "shooting pool and ping-pong." When queried as to whether release of tension was a motive for his athletic interests, Case replied, "No--to relieve tension, I drink."

Not All Are Jocks

It is not true, however, that all Harvard Faculty members are avid jocks. Stephen Botein, assistant professor of History, said he was "baffled with the thought" of participating in athletics, adding, "I just don't think about it."

Then there are those who have tasted athletics and decided that it is not for them. Paul A. Cantor '66, assistant professor of English, was a varsity fencer while at Harvard and compiled a perfect record of zero wins and eight losses during his career. When asked what he does now for exercise, Cantor replied, "Are you kidding? Now I do nothing. The closest thing to athletics I do now is foosball." Cantor quickly added that with time and effort he has become "an excellent goalie with a good defensive stance."