Big Green Whips Cagers, 86-75; Ivy Opener a Disappointment

By David Clarke

The varsity cagers had their first winning streak of the season snapped at one when they lost their Ivy opener at Dartmouth last night, 86-75. Playing before a small but noisy crowd, the Dartmouth cagers dominated play from beginning to end.

They played a patient, controlled offense, continually working the ball around for the good shot. When they got one, they generally made it, shooting 59 per cent (33 of 56) from the field.

Dartmouth hit its first seven shots to build an early 14-8 lead which it never relinquished. The Crimson played poor defense all night, giving Dartmouth too many opportunities to get the high percentage shots it sought.

Edmonds Amok

Harvard's two centers, Brian Banks and Steve Irion, could not control Sterling Edmonds, Dartmouth's mobil pivotman. The Crimson duo combined for eight personal fouls and only 12 rebounds, while Edmonds chalked up 20 points, 16 rebounds and seven assists.

Bill Carey, who scored 30 points against Brandeis Saturday, had trouble getting an open shot. he forced eight in the first half but came away with only four points at intermission, when Harvard trailed 38-30.

Five Straight

The Big Green clicked for five straight points as the second half began, building its lead to 13 points. The Crimson tried desperately to battle back, but bad free throw shooting only exacerbated a worsening situation. During the game, Dartmouth hit 20 of 28, while Harvard got only seven chances and missed four.

One Last Bid

Trailing by 11 with four minutes left, Harvard made one last bid for victory. Carey swished one to cut the lead to nine, 76-67. Then Dartmouth floor general John Lasowski was called for charging and fouled out of the game. The Big Green missed him in the frantic minute of play that followed.

Fine fed Carey for a layup, took a pass from Jonas Honick after a steal for a bucket of his own, and stole Dartmouth's inbound pass. He then returned the favor and passed the ball to Honick, who sent home a jump shot to cut the lead to three, 76-73.

Just when the hoopsters seemed to have turned the tables, the game slipped away again. Dartmouth's Larry Cubas hit over Fine for two of his game-high 24 points, Leondis turned the ball over on a charge, and Bill Healy hit a pair of freethrows to run the Big Green margin to seven. Carey missed a freethrow the next time down-court, and all Dartmouth had to do was run out the clock.

The hapless Crimson will travel to Rochester, N.Y. for the Kodak Classic on December 29.