Dudley Referendum

By Mark D. Gearan

Dudley House will hold a general House referendum next week to decide whether to endorse a House Committee decision which two weeks ago ruled write-in votes invalid in an election to the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life.

Mari Ellen Supple '76, chairman of the House committee, said yesterday that the committee, said yesterday that the committee had received a petition signed by 25 House members living in the Dudley House co-ops which fulfilled the requirements of the House constitution for contesting a House committee decision, and placing the question on a referendum.

The petition contested the House committee decision which ruled a write-in ballot listing 29 names voting for Henry Sandow '76 for representative to the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life invalid, since it violated the single ballot provision of the House constitution.

At a House committee meeting held last week, the committee upheld its original decision to rule the ballot invalid, and explained to Sandow's supporters the procedures for contesting the committee decision through a petition requiring 25 names.

Ann Perry '76, vice chairman of the House committee, said yesterday that if a majority of the House votes to reverse the committee decision, Sandow will be the CHUL representative for Dudley House.

Sandow said yesterday he feels his support is "now stronger than before," and is optimistic about the final outcome of the referendum.