Over 160 to Stay In 'Warm Zones' During Vacation

By Robert Lunbeck

More than 160 undergraduates and resident tutors will occupy House "warm zones" during Christmas vacation, according to a survey of the resident Houses conducted by The Crimson yesterday.

Virtually all undergraduates and tutors staying in the Houses over the first two weeks of Christmas vacation plan to stay in warm zones designated by the individual houses. An average of 10 to 20 people will occupy each house zone during the first two weeks of vacation.

The Houses are individually responsible for locating students in warm zones. Harvard's undergraduate room contract gives it the right to move residents into other students' rooms.

Most residents will move into room vacated by friends who live in the warm zones, the secretaries of the five Houses which have begun to locate students, said yesterday.

Only one complaint has been received from a student whose room will be occupied by others over the vacation, according to the survey's results. The University is not legally responsible for any damage to property in the occupied rooms, Bruce Collier, assistant dean for the College, said yesterday.

This is the first year Harvard has not heated all rooms in the Houses during Christmas vacation. Charles P. Whitlock, dean of the College, said yesterday that Harvard plans to continue the program in the future.

The Freshman Dean's office established warm zones in the Yard last year to accommodate about 30 students and proctors remaining for Christmas vacation.

Room temperatures in all University housing will be raised to "perfectly habitable" levels during the third week of vacation, Collier said