Cornell Stings Matmen, 21-18: Middleweight Grapplers Fail

By Francis T. Crimmins jr.

The Cornell grapplers nipped the Harvard matmen by a 21-18 score on Saturday to conclude a double-disaster weekend for the Crimson. The Crimson lost by an identical margin to Columbia on Friday, thus eliminating all hopes for a winning season.

Harvard's lower and middle weights could not supply any points against Cornell and after seven bouts the Crimson failed 3-18.

"There was no need for being behind, like that in those two meets distraught Crimson mentor Johnny Lee lamented yesterday. "It was sort of a nightmare--looking up at the clock and seeing us behind, 3-18, Two days in a row."

Milt Yasunaga was the only shining light for the Crimson in the lower weights as the aggressive sophomore whipped by Big opponent to take the decision. Yasunaga's performance kept him in contention for All-Ivy honors.

Packer Bests

Jim Strathmyer bested has Corner opponent at 1 pounds as the Penn sylvania Packer turned in another fine performance and heads for what appears to be at least All-Ivy second team honors.

Bart Van Dissel pinned his Big Red opponent at 190 pounds in an easy bout, and heavyweight Kip Smith added a decision to conclude the Crimson scoring.

"There's nothing like a long bus ride and getting nipped twice by identical scores." Lee said. "It was like seeing on old movie twice."