Radcliffe Hoopsters Succumb to Brown, 60-38; Frequent Turnovers Cause Crimson Collapse

By Audrey H. Ingber, Special to The Crimson

PROVIDENCE, R.I.-The Radcliffe basketball team literally threw away its last game of the season against Brows Saturday, losing 60-38.

Bad passing and butterfingers produced repeated turnovers, as the 'Cliffe offense failed to take advantage of the excellent defense it displayed.

At the opening of the game the Crimson cagers played like a different team from the one that-Brown defeated a week age in the finals of the MIT invitational Tournament. Racing up the court, they quickly pulled ahead with a basket by Sue Williams and two by Maude wood.

Despite losing that edge, they stayed within two points of the Bruins for most of the first half, before committing a series of souls. The Brown women rarely missed their free throws, and opened their lead to 29-18 by the half.

Surge

A surge at the beginning of the second half, led by agressive rebounding by Williams and Kathy pulton held the Brown margin at about ten points.

But the failure to follow up with buckets allowed the Bruins to pull out of reach with ten minutes left in the contest. The highest single scorer for Radcliffe, with only eight points, was freshmen Fulton.

The sharp passing and ball heading which the 'Cliffe displayed against Emmazuel last Thursday was missing at Brown.

The Crimson hoopsters waited for the passes to find them, instead of moving to the ball.

Brown, however, did just that, continually picking off Radcliffe's passes. Unable to hold on the ball, the Radcliffe women spent most of the game under their opponent's basket.

It was there that the 'Cliffe team looked alert and aggressive. Its defense improved since last weekend, as they walled up the areas Brown had found so lucrative.

Using a variation on their zone, the Radcliffe players both clogged up the middle and pressured the outside, making the hot Brown scorers force their shots.

The team has a week off until next Saturday when it goes to Wellesley by to meet the Smith and Wellesley by teams.