Senior Tutors Will Be Named For Winthrop, Quincy Houses

The administration has chosen a new senior tutor for Winthrop House and possibly one for Quincy House, but the search for new Lowell and Leverett House senior tutors is still going on.

Members of the Houses said last night that William A. Graham Jr., assistant professor of Islamic Religion, will be named Winthrop senior tutor, and Marshall R. Pihl Jr. '55, assistant for development in East Asian Studies, may be the next Quincy senior tutor.

Walt for Master

The appointment of a new senior tutor in Lowell House will not be made until a master is selected for the House, Dean Whitlock said last night. Kenneth H. Levinson, instructor in German and Lowell senior tutor, will not maintain his position next year.

Whitlock said he will announce the new Winthrop and Quincy senior tutors "shortly."

Pihl said last night he was being considered and "would love" to be senior tutor, but also said he is "not changing bank accounts or moving houses yet."

Graham was not available for comment.

Bruce Ferguson '75, chairman of the Quincy House Committee, said last night that Pihl is a "good candidate" but that the field "is still very much open."

Pihl would replace Roger D.K. Thomas, assistant professor of Biology, whose appointment ends this academic year.

'Quite Definite'

Anthony T. Ariotto, assistant professor of Linguistics and senior tutor at Winthrop House, said last night he is leaving his tutorship because his appointment of Graham "is quite definite, awaiting official approval."

Ferguson said Robert J. Ginn Jr., associate director of the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning and senior tutor of Quincy House last year, is "everybody's first choice."

But he said "work constraints" will not permit Ginn to accept the position.

J. David Grizzle '75, chairman of the Winthrop House committee, said last night the search for a senior tutor has stopped and that Graham "was by far the first choice."

Kenneth R Andrews, Master of Leverett House, said last night he is looking for a successor to Charles S. Maier '60, but there is no list of candidates yet.

Andrews said although Maier's appointment ends this academic year, he may retain his senior tutorship until the end of the first semester of next year.

Maier said last night his "plans are still up in the air," and also said the chances of his returning next year are "low."

Whitlock said the process for the selection of the Winthrop and Quincy senior tutors, which began in the fall, involved the collaboration of the respective House masters, Dean Rosovsky, Francis M. Pipkin, associate dean of the Faculty to the College, and himself.

He said in almost all cases the opinions of students have been considered.

The appointments must also be worked out with the departments with which the candidates are associated, Whitlock said.

Final approval of the appointments is made by Dean Rosovsky and the Harvard Corporation.