Crimson Fencers Journey South to Princeton As Marion Employs Psychological Strategy

A six-hour bus ride south to Princeton will precede the match against a tough Tiger team for the Crimson fencers this afternoon.

The ride should be long enough to "bore" the fencers, Coach Edo Marion said yesterday. "Hopefully enough to create anger that can be used against Princeton," he added.

Marion predicts that his psychological strategy should produce an approximate 15-13 victory for the Crimson to return to Cambridge.

The fencers have already tallied six victories this season, crumpling Muhlenberg. Dartmouth, MIT, Southeastern Massachusetts University, Brandeis and CCNY, while suffering only one loss to NYU.

Princeton lost by one bout, 13-14, to Cornell, the team Marion said he expects to be Harvard's challenger for the Ivy title.

Dampened Hopes

Harvard's hopes have been dampened but not drowned by the absence of Eric Reed. Reed, an all-Ivy epee last year, is leaving school for the term and will not be able to help the fencers.

Coach Marion expects that the team's depth should handle any competition from Princeton.

Scoring hopefuls are Phillippe Bennett. Gordon Rutledge, and Bob Clauss in foil, an event in which Marion expects the Crimson to pick up a majority of nine bouts.

The sabre will be handled by Larry Tu and sophomore John Major. Major is new to the sabre and switched to it for the Brandeis meet where he took all three bouts.

Winding up for the Crimson team will be Sam Anderson. John Hershfield, and John Hawkins on open.

Marien repeatedly stressed that the outcome "will depend on the confidence and the coolness of our fencers." He added the Crimson should win because "we are stronger."