ROBIN SING

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The following is a collective response from the Harvard Employees Organizing Committee to the recent dismissal of Robin Sing. Because she was fired within her three-month probationary period of employment, Ms. Sing was denied access to the normal grievance produces accorded regular salaried employees at Harvard University. Her supervisor at the Loeb Library, Caroline Shillaber, fired Ms. Sing without warning after 11/2 days' absence (one day with permission and 1/2 day for an emergency concerning her child). According to Ms. Sing's sworn affidavit. Shillaber fired her with the explanation that she "foresaw a pattern of absence because she [Ms. Sing] had a child." At the time no complaint was made about Ms. Sing's work performance.

Only after Harvard learned that Ms. Sing planned to take legal action with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAS), did a four-page, single spaced memorandum appear detailing alleged poor work performance. While the MCAD's investigation proceeded, a staff meeting was called at the Loeb Library to forbid discussion on the part of the staff and employees with anyone outside the University.

At the hearing, Harvard was represented by three lawyers from Ropes and Gray, who argued, among other things, that a woman cannot possibly discriminate against a woman. The logic behind this argument is at best shakey. The MCAD is continuing its investigation into Ms. Sing's dismissal, indicating that the case is by no means concluded.

The policies and conduct apparent in the case on the part of Harvard University raise disturbing questions in the minds of most employees. We, the HEOC, extend our strongest support for Robin Sing in her struggle. Mary-Anita Browne   Acting Chairperson   on behalf of the HEOC