Strauch Committee Report To Go on Faculty Agenda

By Margaret A. Shapiro

The Faculty Council yesterday voted to place the major recommendations of the Strauch Committee on the docket for the April meeting of the full Faculty, John B Fox, Jr. '59, secretary of the Faculty Council said yesterday.

Although the council did not take a formal position on the Strauch report. Fox said that with one exception, "the council has never not supported an item it placed on the docket" of a full Faculty meeting.

The council's three part motion says that pending the concurrence of the Radcliffe Board of trustees and the Corporation, equal access admissions he implemented for the Class of 1980, that as of July 1 the Harvard and Radcliffe Standing Committees on Admissions and Scholarships be combined, and that the annual and three-year reviews of equal access specified in the Strauch report be carried out as recommended by the report.

Karl Strauch, a member of the Faculty Council and chairman of the Strauch Committee, said last night the council expressed "no real opposition to any particular feature of my committee's report."

Dean Rosovsky said last night, "there seems to be general support of the report" though he said he could not product whether either the Faculty Council of the Faculty will vote to accept it.

Phyllis Keller, assistant dean of the Faculty who sits in on council meetings, also said last night "there was substantial support for the Strauch report" and said she thought it very likely the Faculty would vote to accept the report.

The council's motion makes no mention of several recommendations in the Strauch report, specifically that there be substantial representation of both sexes among the teaching faculty and administration, that prizes and fellowships be awarded under a policy of equal access, and that the Harvard and Radcliffe admissions offices be joined.

Administrative Matters

Rosovsky said these items were left out of the council's motion because they are either administrative matters for which "the Faculty is not an adequate forum for discussion" or are policies already being pursued, and are not subject to Faculty discussion.

"The council's motion deals only with the specific problem of equal access," Rosovsky said, adding that the annual and three-year reviews will address the broader questions raised by this issue.

Fox said the council left out these points because it "was trying to extract from the recommendations in the Strauch report what it thought were the immediate and essential issues."