School Superintendent Resigns Because of Medical Problems

By Brenda Gruss

Alflorence Cheatham resigned yesterday as superintendent of the Cambridge Public Schools because of medical reasons, Mayor Walter J. Sullivan announced last night at a meeting of the Cambridge School Committee.

Glenn S. Koocher '71, a member of the School Committee, said yesterday that the committee has known about Cheatham's health problems for a year, but only learned Tuesday night of Cheatham's resignation, which will take effect on March 14.

Cheatham, who took office in September 1972, resigned and then withdrew his resignation at the request of the School Committee in October 1974, following a hiring dispute with the Cambridge Civic Association.

Kescher said that the committee told Cheatham yesterday "we won't play games: we'll accept your resignation," because, Kescher said, the committee believed it was prompted by "party personal reasons."

Cheatham has suffered a "study deterioration of his emotional well-being" due to an ulcer and the pressures of his work, Koocher said.

Cheatham said last night that although the controversy surrounding October's resgination was a problem then, it is not "critical" now.

The School Committee will meet on Friday to appoint an acting superintendent.

Koocher said he hoped the committee would choose a new superintendent before July 1.

On Friday, the committee will also consider a motion to grant tenure to Joseph G. Sateriale in his present position as assistant superintendent of secondary education.

If Sateriale is then appointed acting superintendent, he will be able to return to his present position following the appointment of a new superintendent.

Sateriale is the "logical" choice for acting superintendent, Koocher said, but Sateriale may not be appointed because he may be an applicant for the permanent superintendent position.