Radcliffe Humbles Worcester in Rout

By Richard J. Doherty

The lack of any official opening day festivities did not deter the Radcliffe lacrosse squad from creating some fireworks of its own as the Cliffe stickwomen handed an inexperienced Worcester State team a stunning 19-2 loss yesterday.

Radcliffe's offense exploded quickly and it wasn't long before the contest became a "how much rather than who affair." Barbara Matson, playing in the second home position, popped in three first half tallies behind the Worcester goalie, to lead Radcliffe to a decisive 8-2 lead at intermission.

The laxwomen quite simply outcradled Worcester in every aspect of the game. The old "the best defense is a strong offense" axiom was closely adhered to as the Radcliffe attack maintained a tremendous territorial edge all afternoon.

Cliffe coach Molly Quimby said yesterday. "I knew we would have a strong attack but I was especially pleased with our passing and teamwork in general.

Winger Mars Child scored one of her five goals on a brilliant solo effort. Child intercepted an attempted Worcester clearing pass, cut past the pointwomen and rifled a rocket of a shot behind a starry-eyed crease keeper.

Carrie Minot was another of the premier Cliffe scorers as she netted 4 goals all in second half play.

Worcester coach Janet Demars said yesterday. "Radcliffe was simply excellent. They showed good speed, fine stickhandling and that ever important quality of experience." Twelve of the seventeen visitors were rookies.

Radcliffe will not have it so easy this weekend when it travels down to Philadelphia to meet a veteran Penn Squad, Quimby to well aware of the Quakers strength and followed yesterday's rout with a demanding hour long intersquad scrimmage