Medical School Power Plant Nears Final Stage of Planning

A proposed Total Energy Plant which would supply power for Harvard's Affiliated Hospitals Complex, of which the Medical School is a member, is in the final planning stages, a member of the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) said yesterday.

Mitchell L. Fischman, of the BRA, said yesterday that plans for the energy center are "coming around to a head."

He said that an environmental impact statement for the plant site near the Medical School is "nearing completion."

Donald C. Moulton, assistant vice-president for government and community affairs declined this week to comment on the power plant.

Underground Plans

Moulton said last year that the power plant will be completely underground and another structure, an office building or a garage, will occupy only half of the above ground site.

The energy center, which sources said yesterday would provide energy, steam and possibly chilled water to the affiliated hospitals, came under attack February of last year from the Roxbury Tenants of Harvard (RTH).

The RTH charged that the building of the power plant violated a 1970 agreement between the University and the tenant group which prohibited Harvard from taking land in the RTH neighborhood until residents could be relocated properly.

Moulton said at the time that the power plant is on a corner which does not divide the community. He said the question of a broken agreement is premature.