Radcliffe Trustees Expected To Ratify Strauch Proposals

By H. JEFFREY Leonard

The Radcliffe Trustees are expected to approve the major recommendations of the Strauch Committee at a special meeting today.

The Trustees, Radcliffe's official governing body, will thus become the first Harvard or Radcliffe corporate board to ratify the Strauch proposals. Harvard's two governing boards-the Corporation and the Board of Overseers-are expected to approve the recommendations early next month.

However, Presidents Bok and Horner may issue a joint statement on the Strauch report on behalf of the Harvard Corporation and the Radcliffe Trustees if the statement can be approved at today's meeting, Horner said yesterday.

The major recommendations of the Strauch report include a call for equal access admissions to be administered through a unified Harvard-Radcliffe admissions office and to be instituted in time to admit the Class of 1980.

Two weeks ago, the Harvard Overseers Visiting Committee on the Harvard. Radcliffe Relationship decided to recommend that the Overseers approve the Strauch proposals at the Board's May 12 meeting.

Corporation sources said this week that its members decided not to set on the report until after the Radcliffe Trustees had voted on it.

Corporation members were reportedly reluctant to publicity hall the proposed changes until they were sure that the Trustees would not reject them as harmful to Radcliffe.

Frances J. Donovan, chairman of the Trustees' Future Committee, said last night she does not expect any big problems in approving the major Strauch recommendations at today's meeting.

"All of the Trustees have had the report for some time and it has been discussed a lot elsewhere," Donovan said, The Future Committee has already met and formulated suggestions on the report and Donovan said she will present them to all of the Trustees.

Although the Trustees will undoubtedly vote approval of the major recommendations of the Strauch report, Susan S. Lyman '49, chairman of the Trustees, and many of the 30 Trustees have already stated that they fear the merging of the admissions offices may remove Radcliffe even further from its undergraduate students.

The Trustees are therefore expected to make a statement today about their concerns for Radcliffe and the importance of utilizing the Strauch proposals to strengthen the position of women at Harvard by increasing their numbers.

The Faculty voted approval for the major recommendations of the Strauch report on April 8