Protesters Picket For 1-1 Admissions At University Hall

By James Cramer

More than 110 students picketed outside University Hall yesterday afternoon for the adoption of a one-to-one admissions policy, while Faculty members inside the hall debated and approved the Strauch Committee's equal access admissions recommendations.

The students at the demonstration, organized by Radcliffe-Harvard New American Movement members, began forming their picket line at 4 p.m., after most of the Faculty members had already entered the building.

The marchers chanted slogans and carried signs calling for the implementation of the proposals of the DuBois Institute Student Committee, an increase in the number of third world and working class students, as well as the adoption of one-to-one admissions.

The demonstrators also handed out leaflets to Faculty members and passers-by saying that equal access admissions without a fixed male-female ratio, as called for in the Strauch Report, will not lead to equal number of female and male students.

Deborah Socolar '76, a member of NAM, told the crowd from the steps of University Hall that the Strauch plan "doesn't propose any mechanism for increasing recruitment of women under socalled 'equal access' but just leaves recruiting in the hands of an administration with no commitment to a one-to-one ratio."

Robert Harper '78, a spokesman for the Organization of Student Unity, said that Harvard "had the resources to take equal numbers of working class and third world students, but that it is necessary for students to force them to do so."

He praised the different factions involved in the demonstration including the DuBois Institute Student Committee and NAM, for uniting "against the University which is a common oppressor."

Christopher C. Tilly '75, an organizer of the demonstration said that leaflets and the volume of the chants had the effect of raising Faculty members consciousness to the issue of one-to-one.

The demonstration broke up while the Faculty meeting was still in progress