Robbie Hits H.R.; Tribe Takes Yanks

Frank Robinson, making history yesterday, slammed a home run in his first at bat and the Cleveland Indians defeated the New York Yankees, 5-3, in Robinson's first game as the sport's first black manger.

Robinson, batting himself second as the Indian's designated hitter, worked Yankee pitcher Doc Medich to a 2-2 count, fouling off three pitches, before hitting his homer. As the partisan crowd roared. Robinson tipped his cap as he crossed home plate.

Gaylord perry, the winning pitcher in his tenth consecutive opening day assignment, settled down and went the distance after the Yankees jumped to a 3-1 lead in the second inning. He was helped immensely by the booming bet of Boog Powell, the former Baltimore first baseman.

The Yankees made their only dent on Perry when Ron Blomberg and Craig Nettles singled to open the second. Chris Chambliss doubled them home and then scored on Thurman Munson's single.

Powell had three hits, and his second one was a long home run over the centerfield fence in the fourth inning that tied the game, 3-3. Then powell sent the Indians ahead in the sixth inning when he doubled to the right field corner scoring George Hendrick.