Applications Down, Tuition Is Higher At Summer School

Applications to the 1975 Summer School are down from last year, and the school's director yesterday attributed the drop to a tuition increase and "the general economic situation."

Summer School tuition will be $350 per course this summer, an increase of $60 over last summer's rate of $290 per course.

The Summer School register, Leonard W. Holmberg, said yesterday that fewer Harvard students registered last week at a special two-day registration than did last year at a similiar session.

Holmberg also said applications from non-Harvard students are down compared to this time last year, although the application deadline is not until June 20. Holmberg said specific application figures will be available next week.

Thomas E. Crooks '49, director of the Summer School, said last night the number of Harvard students in the Summer School has been steadily decreasing over the past five years, due to a decrease in government-sponsored graduate fellowships, the institution of a flat tuition rate, and the state of the economy.