Mike Fahey Jinxes Harvard Batters, Pitches Brandeis to 4-1 GBL Victory

By William E. Stedman

Mike Fahey came back to haunt Harvard yesterday. The 5 ft. 11 in poltergeist from Branders (who scored 25 points to lead the Judges in an upset over the Crimson on the hard-court last February) hexed the Harvard bats yesterday as he pitched Brandeis to a 4-1 victory in Waltham.

Fahey was not exactly over powering allowing eight hits in the contest. But once again the Crimson hitters were spooked with men on base and the ball would not drop in.

"We had our chances to beat him," coach Loyal Park said yesterday, echoing his thoughts on Saturday's 2-0 loss to Dartmouth. Like last weekend's defeat, the Harvard bats left a lot of men on base.

In the first inning, the Crimson picked up two hits but couldn't score. In the second, a single and a sacrifice went for naught. Two hits and a walk were wasted in the third and a hit and a walk in the fourth failed to produce any runs. "I could go right down the line." Park said glancing at his scorebook.

The only Crimson run came in the fifth, after shortstop Ed Durso hit into a two base error and advanced to third on a Jimmy Thomas single. Leigh Hogan sacrificed him home, but that would be all that Fahey would allow.

"He's a fine athlete." Park said of the Brandeis ace "he had a pretty good curve and a knuckle ball. We had eight huts though, which is a pretty good game.

Don Driscoll was the mound victim of the loss, as he threw 5-2.3 before surrendering the ball to Bob Larson Driscoff gave up three runs on seven hits while Larson allowed just two hits and a run the rest of the way.

Branders struck first in the fourth inning on three singles the final one by Bill Hillver to drive on a run in the fifth number three hitter Dave Markell (three for three on the day) singled in the second score and Bob Hudson came up with another hit one out and one walk later to make it 3-1.

Markell stctimized Larson in the sixth singing with two on (by walks) to make it 4-1. The Crimson buffers meanwhile, could not victimize Fahey.

Last year Harvard ended the Greater Boston League season with a convincing rout another championship season. But this year squad protested Harvard's domination of the GBI which goes back the past four seats in a row sending the Crimson squad away with a mediocre 5.4 circuit record. The mythical Bike Cup, symbolic of GBL supremacy, will not reside in Dillon this year.

Park's troops finish up the season on the road this weekend with Eastern League games at Princeton Friday and Navy (2) Saturday.