Administrators Say Savings Don't Merit Calendar Change

By Nicole Seligman

Administration estimates show that an early September registration date and an extension of Christmas vacation by four weeks would not be "worthwhile in terms of finances." Francis M. Pipkin, associate dean of the Faculty for the Colleges, said yesterday.

Pipkin said that about $150,000 would be saved by the Faculty but that the administration would only make the change if it could save $300,000.

He said about $50,000 could be saved each week through fuel conservation for each of the four extra weeks the College would be closed, but added that other costs would be incurred by opening the College earlier in September.

This spring the calendar committee of the Faculty Council drew up a proposal to start the school year on September 7, end it on May 21, and have a six-week Christmas vacation to cut fuel costs.

Pipkin said a group of administrators meeting to discuss ways to save money yesterday formed a subcommittee to propose specific means of saving money for the Faculty.

Summer Session

Francis A. Lawton, assistant for facilities in the office of the dean of the Faculty and a member of the subcommittee, said last night that the new group will meet during the summer to discuss possible savings from automated heating systems and the use of storm windows.

Lawton cited a reduction in the amount of space the Faculty must pay other faculties to use as a possible money-saver.

Pipkin said that offices rented in Holyoke Center, for example, could be moved to space now unused in the basement of Lowell Lecture Hall.

The sub-group on costs that was established yesterday is made up of Pipkin: Lawton; Dean Rosovsky: Bruce Collier, assistant dean of the College for Houses and Richard G. Leahy, associate dean of the Faculty for resources and planning