Cinderella Soccer Squad Surprised All

Edged by Broten in Finals

The international flavoring that in recent years had brought fame and fortune to the Harvard soccer team was not to be found this year. New head coach George Ford thus instituted a program of intense pre-season training, strong emphasis on defense and an exciting last break offense.

The result was the emergence of the Crimson booters as the cinderella team in the Ivy league and despite a late season fade the home grown crew came up with a strong 7-4-2 record.

Lyman Bullard stepped up form the last year's freshman squad and within a month had established himself as one of the most productive strikers in the league.

At the other end of the field a junior corps of fullbacks, Jeff Hargadon, Bob Thompsen, and Ralph Booth provided strong assistance to netminder Ben Bryan.

The league record of 5-1-1 was good enough to garner second place honors in a year most people felt the Crimson would be doing well to stay out of the cellar.

Ford concurred at the end of the season." It was an unbelievable season, to come out the way we did. The players have had to be willing to work like never before."