Crimson Wrestlers Finish 6-9, Tied for Third Place in Ivies

The Crimson Grapplers' hopes for the Ivy title faded late in the season when they suffered two surprise losses to Columbia and Cornell on a disastrous road trip. Posting a mediocre 6-9 overall record, the matmen finished tied for third with three other teams behind Ivy powerhouse Princeton and second place Yale.

The season did have some high points, noticeably the improvement in the heavyweight position with Kip Smith and the late season performance of Sal D'Agostino. Smith, who received the most improved player award, was voted honorable mention at the season's end by the Ivy coaches.

D'Agostino, a freshman, came out late for the squad after the football season and was soon sidelined with an injury. After wrestling in only three bouts during the entire season. D'Agostino made a remarkable effort at the Eastern Championships, held at Navy, picking up a fifth place in the 190-pound weight class for the only Crimson score.

The grapplers did manage to pick up two berths in the coaches second team all-Ivy selections to perk up the season a bit. Next years captain Jim Stratmeyer repeated at 177 pounds and Milt Yasanaga filled the slot at 126 pounds.

The high point of the bonebenders' season came in a 35-14 triumph over Dartmouth in February.