Radcliffe Flexed Muscles in All Three Seasons

Radcliffe's athletic teams gained some long-in-coming recognition this year as the winter sports squads moved from their dusty facilities in the Radcliffe gym or the University squash courts to the IAB and Hemenway Gym.

Cagers

The Cliffe cagers ended their season on a fine note as the women powered their way to the Division Two championship in the Massachusetts Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women. In that tourney Radcliffe displayed an awesome scoring feat, downing Emmanual, 79-68, and defeating Tufts, 77-61.

The big five for coach John McCarthy were Jeanne Guyton, Denise Thal, Sue Williams. Lisa Muscatine and Kathy Fulton. The McCarthy clan finished the season with a 95 record.

The Cliffe squash team was not quite as successful, however, and just backed into an even, 7.7 slate. Captain Ruth Stevens. Sue Handy and Susanne DeSola were the major racquet wielders for the women.

In the spring, the racquet women redeemed themselves. Led by Muscatine and Thal, the Cliffe finished third--behind Princeton and Yale in the Seven Sisters tournament. Muscatine commented on the squad's play in the tourney. "I think our play typified the team's play this season. No one played their best, except maybe in spurts."

Next door to the tennis courts is the women's lacrosse field, where behind the potent offensive punch of Barb Matson, Anne Johnson, and Carrin Minot the Radcliffe laxwomen finished with an emminently respectable record. Lack of consistancy plagued the women as second half fades seemed to be part of its game plan.

Crew

The pride and joy of the Radcliffe athletic program comes, of course, from Weld boathouse where for the third consecutive year the oarswomen have shut down all challenges to the "tops in the east" title.

The heavyweights made a mockery of the highly touted Yale and Wisconsin crews, trouncing them by open water at the Sprints and then demolishing the Elis in a head-to-head race down in New London.

Administrator, Money

The addition of Audronike Janus as assistant athletic director to the athletic department is another important boost to the woman's program. Funding for the newly formed Radcliffe track team is another step towards the fulfillment of Harvard's claim of athletics for all.

Women's First Rites

Six major awards were presented last night at the annual Harvard Club Senior Letter winner's dinner held at the Palmer Dixon Courts. Women athletes participated in the festivities for the first time.

Dick Cash in was the 24th recipient of the William J. Bingham Award, Harvard's highest athletic honor. Cash in, a member of the U.S. National Crew Team and three-time varsity heavyweight oarsman, also won the intercollegiate B crown squash tournament this winter.

Two New Awards

Two newly instituted women's awards were presented yesterday also. Radcliffe diver Nancy Sato received the Alumni Association Award and Jean Guyton was presented the Mary C. Paget prize.

Steve Dart was named the winner of the Francis H. Burr Scholarship for combining academic and athletic excellence. Hockey and baseball standout Leigh Hogan received the James Fadden Award, and manager Bob Drucker was awarded the Manager of the Year Trophy.

Members from 19 Harvard intercollegiate sports and 10 Radcliffe teams were on hand for the presentations.