The Alumni Stand By Their Men

The Year of Equal Access

It there were any doubts about exactly where the Harvard alumni stood on the major issues the Strauch Committee addressed, their position came through loud and clear at the May meeting of the Associated Harvard Alumni.

The stand was delicately posed by AHA President John L. Moore '51: the AHA favors an increase in the number of women, no increase in the present size of the College, and (here is the catch) no decrease in the number of men.

However, Moore realistically assessed the position, admitting that since all three goals were impossible, "we're just going to have to keep working hard for as many of these goals as possible."

Just which of the goals would receive the AHA seal of priority was a little more than obvious to anyone who attended the AHA meeting.

While there appeared to be a great deal of support for the abstract goal of increasing women, the alumni association made it abundantly clear that this goal should in no way interfere with the goal of maintaining the present number of men.

It was clear that any compromising of goals would have to come between the first two; the third was set in gold by the AHA members.

President Bok shied away from assuring the alumni that there absolutely would be no decrease, but carefully pointed out to them that for at least three years there would be no "substantial" change in the student body makeup simply because "equal access will take time to build momentum."