Watson Names Janus to Post As Assistant Athletic Director

By Kathleen T. Riley

Robert B. Watson '37, director of athletics, announced yesterday that Andronike E. Janus will become the new assistant director of athletics effective July 1.

Janus, currently assistant to the president of Radcliffe for special projects, will be the first woman to hold this post.

Eric Cutler, current assistant athletic director, will retain his post. Dave Matthews, director of sports information, said yesterday. The final distribution of duties between the two directors is not yet known, he said.

Among Janus's duties will be budgeting, program development, and coordinating Radcliffe athletics.

Watson cited Janus's background in dealing with both undergraduates and alumni as a major factor in his choice.

Good Record

Janus served as administrative assistant to the general secretary of the Associated Harvard Alumni in 1965 and then organized the 25th reunion for five years.

Janus, who was unavailable for comment yesterday, competed in tennis and swimming as an undergraduate at Mills College in Oakland, Calif.

'Open Communications'

"I hope the appointment will open communication between administrators and athletes," Nancy Sato, tri-captain of the Radcliffe swim team, said yesterday. "It is important to have a very honest relationship where the expectations and rights of the athletes are openly correlated with the behind-the-scenes actions of the administrators," she added.