Wilson's Ideas Aided Ford in Crime Stance

Protects Citizens, Not Criminals

By Brian D. Young

James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government, has been credited with "strongly influencing" President Ford's anti-crime message presented to Congress in June.

John Carlson, a press officer at the White House, said Wednesday although Wilson "had no hand in writing the message, his opinions are widely read and highly regarded in this administration." He said Wilson met with Ford for a few hours before Ford wrote the message.

Wilson said Monday he knew his books and articles were read by the writers of the crime message and they seemed to be influenced by the ideas contained in them.

Ford's anti-crime proposal calls for mandatory sentences for certain violent crimes. The message emphasized protection of law-abiding citizens rather than the rights of criminals.

Wilson said he was "satisfied" with the stance Ford is taking on criminal legislation. "Past attempts at reducing crime have just been throwing away money," he said.

Ford's crime message was viewed as "moderate" by Wilson. "It acknowledged the fact that there is only so much the federal government can do about crime," he said.

Fixed and determined sentences would "treat like cases alike, and thus be more just," he said. They would also "aid in eliminating the backlog of cases in the courts," Wilson added.