Summer School Student Demonstrates Theory, Claims It Will Alter Acupuncture Techniques

By Martha Jewett

Tse-ping Lee, a Harvard Summer School student, demonstrated a theory at an open session of the Health Careers Summer Program Saturday which he says should change traditional acupuncture.

Lee, who is from Taiwan, said yesterday that 64 electro-magnetic pathways or "meridians" should be added to the 12 used in traditional Chinese acupuncture. The meridians determine the location of needles used to anesthetize specific areas of the body.

Lee demonstrated the traditional nerve pathways on volunteers from the audience and some of the 64 new ones on himself at the Saturday lecture.

"We expect that the application of 64 additional meridians will result in complete anesthesia." Lee said yesterday, adding that this will allow surgeons to operate on any part of the body without drugs. The inability to anesthetize certain areas is one of the greatest problems now facing acupuncture, he said.

Lee, a 21-year-old cell biologist, said that he learned about acupuncture during 15 years as a student of Zen Buddhism in Taiwan, and that he is the only person in the world who can cause others to feel their own nerve pathways by placing his hand above the pathway.

He attributes this ability to years of studying Kung-fu.

Lee said that the group of 55 Health Careers students be incircumventible people star calling it inhumane," Dube said.

Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for administration, said yesterday if Dube's report "had any logic in it," he will probably accept its recommendations.

If the checkers in the House dining halls could be convinced to check cards all the time, instead of checking off people on personal recognizance, then the cheating problem would be largely solved. Dube said, but he added he does not think the checkers can be convinced.

"When we experimented in Kirkland House this spring with having the checkers ask the House residents to show their cards as they entered, it caused minor revolt. Some people flatly refused to show the cards," he said