Southern to Get Joint Tenure In Afro, Music

By James Cramer

Eileen Southern has apparently gotten all but the routine approval of Harvard's two governing Boards for a tenured appointment is Afro American studies and Music starting spring.

"Southern will become the second secured profession the fire year old Department and take over its chairmanship from Eat Guinier '33, the present chairman of the department, when he goes on leave in February,

Appointments are not made public before Governing Boards approval and University officials would not comment the Southern appointment yesterday, but page proofs of the fall course catalogue released Wednesday show Southern's present status as a lecturer crossed and Music (spring Term)" written in.

"I've gotten word from the dean's office Dean of the faculty Henry Rosovsky that it is a valid appointment, "Stephen pepper, an official the Registrar's Office said yesterday.

Southern's appointment comes after a semester of work by a special search committee Dean Rosovsky set up last fall to take over the then unsuccessful search for tenured Afro professors.

The Governing Boards do not meet until September and no dockets have been drawn up yet for the meetings.

When asked about the appointment, Guinier, who has quarreled with the administration over how qualified scholars should be chosen for tenured appointments, said "talk, to Rosovsky." He declined to comment further.

Rosovsky said yesterday he could not comment on appointment matters until after the Governing Board take them up

President Bok convened an ad hoe Committee in May to consider Southern, William Shack, an associate professor of Anthropology at the University of California at Berkeley, and Ephraim Isaac, associate professor of Afro American Studies.

The ad hoe committee must act on all Faculty appointments before sending them to Bok and the Governing Boards.

Guinier is currently the only tenured professor in the department.

Southern will be teaching Afro American Studies 135a, History of Afro-American music" this fall.