Third-Period Budweiser Goals Pin Loss on Freshman Icemen

The Budweiser Kings faced off against the Harvard freshman hockey team in Watson Rink last night and escaped with a 5-4 come-from-behind victory as the freshmen failed to capitalize on many scoring attempts.

Budweiser, a former semi-pro team now playing college teams, was forced to play catch-up hockey most of the game, although the score was close throughout with the largest lead, a 3-1 freshman bulge, occuring in the second period.

The action, if not the scoring, began with nine minutes gone in the first period when Harvard's Murray Dea and the Kings' Chuck Lambert fought on the ice and were tossed out of the game.

The fight apparently inspired the freshman offense which used the unorthodox Russian style of criss-crossing men at center ice, as Randy Millan scored the first goal to give Harvard a 1-0 lead.

Budweiser came right back, as they did all night, and tied the score at 1-1 on a long slapshot from the blue line.

The Crimson roared back in the second stanza and slammed in two goals early in the period--one an unassisted goal by Tim "Goober" McBride with 5:15 gone, and the other by John Cochran a minute later.

Disappearing Act

With the freshman skaters watching their lead disappear, the Kings netted two unanswered second-period goals to tie the score at 3-3.

In the fast-skating final period, Budweiser took the lead for the first time with only three minutes gone on a shot by Sandy Milley.

The Crimson tied the score at 4-4 seven minutes later on a David McKinnin tally.

The Kings netted the clincher with 4:25 left on another score by John Sullilvan. Harvard, in a desparation move, pulled their goalie with 1:30 left, but could not score.

The loss dropped the freshmen's record to 4-2. The Budweiser Kings are now 15-2.