Naval Prep Sinks Sub-Varsity Team In Wrestling Meet

By Raycomd I. Cal

The Naval Academy Prep School wrestling team solidly trounced Harvard's sub-varsity squad yesterday at the IAB by an overwhelming score of 30-6.

Jim Kaller (118 lbs.) lost the opening match, 3-1, to a Navy opponent in the weight class above him. Rick Bialek and Kelly Jensen also suffered defeat at the hands of heavier opponents.

In the 134 pound class, Jim McGrath spurted to a quick 4-0 lead, but his sailor rival outlasted him for a 7-4 decision.

Tony Pucillo struggled for three rounds to a 7-2 deficit before his Navy opponent pinned him with forty seconds left in the 158-pound match.

In the 167-pound showdown, Abe Marcus battled to a scoreless tie after two periods. Then his opponent scored a two point takedown in the final period.

Brief Hope

Harvard's hopes were temporarily sparked by Dave Potter, who took a 4-1 first period lead in the 177-pound class. He widened his margin to 10-4 at the end of the second round and won with a resounding 16-9 victory.

In the final matchup, Fred Smith grabbed a 3-0 lead in the second period after a scoreless first period. He widened the gap to 4-0, then cautiously checked his opponents moves for the victory.

Harvard's wrestlers wre disappointed but not defected after the loss. "These matches just keep people who don't wrestle varsity interested, by giving us matches with someone we don't go against every day," Marcus said.