Skaters Ranked Ninth in Weekly Poll

Sports Roundup

Despite last Tuesday's 7-4 win over Boston College, the Crimson skaters dropped to ninth in this week's national hockey poll. Harvard, which ranked eighth in the national a week ago, moved up to seventh, however, in this week's ECAC standings. Boston University leads both the ECAC and the national poll with an overall record of 13-1, 12-0 in Division 1 of the ECAC.

In the Ivy League standings, though, it's a different story. The Crimson currently stands in a three-team tie for fourth place with Dartmouth and Princeton. Once the season heads into full swing in February, look for that to change...Four Brown players--Bill Gilligan, Bob McIntosh, Neil LaBatte, and Wayne Lucky-- lead the league in scoring, while the Bruins are the team co-leaders with Penn, whose three ECAC victories have all been against Ivy competition...

Harvard's Biran Petrovek has the third best goals--against average (4.67) among Ivy netminders, trailing Brown's Kevin McCabe (3.10) and Penn's Carl Jackson (3.56)...

In the world of the bouncing ball, the Crimson hoopsters haven't been doing too much dribbling lately, but the Princeton Tigers have. The Tigers methodically moved into the Associated Press's Top Twenty this week with a 58-55 upset of St. John's last Saturday. Princeton stands 17th, and leads the nation in team defense...

The Crimson cagers, who are idle until next weekend when they host Brown and Yale, boast two of the top five rebounders in New England. With averages of 9.8 and 9.7 rebounds per game, Brian Banks and Bill Carey stand fourth and fifth, respectively. Carey, with 29 rebounds in three Ivy contests, stands third in that loop...

The team itself, though, doesn't stand third anywhere. It is currently dead last in the Ivies, with an 0-3 record which will improve once the Yales and Cornells come to town, and 12th in New England (out of 16), with an overall slate of 5-10...