Policemen Report Bombing Threats; 8 Suicide Attempts

By Mark D. Stegall

The Harvard Police said yesterday that it received two bomb threats around 2 a.m. Thursday morning in what was part of a series of bomb threats in the Boston area.

Lt. Larry J. Murphy said that the police believe that both calls were made by the same man. "He said that Harvard would be blown up, but we think that it was just a hoax," Murphy added.

The Boston University, Cambridge, and Boston police departments also received calls from a man saying that bombs would go off in various parts of the city.

The Harvard police also announced yesterday that eight Harvard students have attempted suicide since July 1, 1975. Two attempts were successful, the statistics show.

No Anxiety Increase

However, Dr. Warren E.C. Wacker, director of the University Health Services, said yesterday that there has been "no increase in the anxiety level of Harvard students."

Wacker said that the "popular" belief is that the anxiety level of college students is rising, but there is "no evidence of this in Harvard students." "In fact, it's probably on the decline," he added.

Harvard police also revealed that there were three incidents of breaking and entering and five acts of vandalism last week at Harvard.

Acts of Vandalism

The two bomb threats make a total of six threats at Harvard since July 1. There have been 163 incidents of breaking and entering and 255 acts of vandalism at Harvard in the same period.

The bomb threats occurred between 9 p.m. Wednesday and 2 a.m. Thursday.

Sgt. Walter M. Clark of the Boston police said yesterday that bomb threats have increased recently, but the total number of threats this year is not much greater than last year.

The Harvard police began keeping long-term crime statistics in July 1975.