Amherst Beats Frosh Booters; Snaps 2-2 Tie to Triumph, 4-2

By Wendy L. Greb

The freshman booters found themselves unable to kick up their heels yesterday and play the kind of game they like best, bowing on Amherst's long and narrow field, 4-2.

The Crimson was slow to get underway and soon found itself already behind the Lord Jeffs by two goals. Late in the first half, John Wiedemann finally got the visitors moving by scoring on a throw-in play.

"The first half goal gave the team a ray of hope," Wiedemann said after the game.

The Crimson started the second half on a different foot, tallying a quick goal to tie the score. Charlie Altekruse assisted Steve Yakopec on an 18 yard goal that soared smoothly into the net. "It was really the nicest goal of the day," Harvard coach Bob Scalise said yesterday.

But the deadlock was short-lived. The home team demonstrated its superior speed and ability to move the ball to set up scoring opportunities. Two quick tallies left them in control of the contest, 4-2.

"It looked like a volleyball game," Scalise said afterwards. "The Amherst players were just so much taller than our guys were. We were consistently beaten to the ball, and we just couldn't manage to get off enough shots."

"The two teams were fairly even except that Amherst played its field. We like to play a ground game, but Amherst kept the ball in the air more than we really wanted," Coach Scalise said.

"At home we play on a wider field so we felt congested yesterday. It was too late before we adjusted to their field," Scalise added.

The players all come from different backgrounds and, having played only three games to date, they have not yet put their acts together. "The team has to learn how to play as a unit, then things will turn around," Scalise said.