'Cliffe Nabs GBC Title; Harvard Harriers Second

Crimson Men Flora-dated

By James D. Auran

The Radcliffe cross country team sipped the sweet nectar of victory in the women's race of the Greater Boston Championship at Franklin Park yesterday. Meanwhile, the varsity men of Harvard tasted lesser brew with a second-place finish in the meet, which drew seven area colleges.

The Radcliffe women, led by Sarah Linsley in second place, and Kathryn Taylor, who finished third, upset the Brandeis team which had beaten them earlier this year by over 30 points.

"We're supposed to be rookies," Taylor said yesterday, "but now we've shown we have potential."

"This gives us a bit of confidence," said seventh-place finisher Karla Ambler.

In the men's race, Northeastern nabbed first with 26 team points with Harvard behind them with 54.

"The Northeastern Horticultural and Cultural Society did it to us again," Harvard coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday in reference to John and Bob Flora, identical twins from Northeastern who took first and third respectively in the five-mile event. John's time is a course record of 23:28.

Never Faster

"I don't know if I've ever seen a faster pace on that course," said McCurdy.

Reed Eichner was the first Harvard runner to cross the finish-line with a time of 24:11 for fifth place.

Eichner was trailed by Jeff Campbell and Peter Fitzsimmons at sixth and seventh in what team manager Ralph Hallo described as "essentially a tie" at 24:14.

Mark Meyer followed at 17th with a time of 25:01, seven seconds ahead of Rock Moulton in 18th.

Another Chance

The Crimson still have an opportunity to defoliate Northeastern next Saturday as the two squads will collide in a dual meet.

In the three-mile JV contest, Harvard placed third in team points, as Dave Sullivan and Brian Dunn led the Crimson with sixth-and eighth-place performances.