Racquetwomen Top UNH, Run Season Slate to 6-1

Radcliffe tennis proved a cold host to its University of New Hampshire opponents yesterday, as it decisive 4-1 victory spoiled the Wildcats' undefeated fall court season while it upped the racquetwomen's slate to 6-1.

Radcliffe's only loss of the match came in the number one singles match, where steady Sally Roberts cowtowed to an awesome adversary in Nancy Veal, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.

In the second singles slot Rita Funaro pasted Jess Berube to the Palmer Dixon walls with a 6-1, 6-4 triumph, and at number three freshman Katy Ditzler took three sets before taming her Wildcat, Lisa Bragdon, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

Doubles matches, which have been an area of concern throughout the season, proved a source of joy for the women in white yesterday.

The number one tandem of Captain Denise Thal and Suki McGraw survived a tiebreaker loss in the second set to take their match, 6-2, 6-7, 6-3 over Debbie Ackerson and Winty Woodbridge. The other doubles team of Beth Craig and Patty Wenn served up a "bagel, breadstick" combination to Courtaney Berger and Cathy Santom; breezing 6-0, 6-1.

Coach Corey Wynn was pleasantly surprised with the way the team manhandled the unbeaten New Hampshire team. "We played them very strong all the way and luckily had all our good players together," Wynn said.

Radcliffe tennis will close its dual match season next Thursday, playing against Boston College in a match that had to be rescheduled.

Season Ends

On the 29th the season officially ends with the New England Tournament up at Amherst. Each team will be represented by two singles players and two doubles teams, and coach Wynn said he plans to go with Roberts and Ditzler for the singles, "and most likely Beth Craig and Terry Clarke, and Lisa Dixon and Liz Livingston in the doubles."