Rep. Young Tells Carter Supporters To Bring Out Vote

By Jonathan H. Alter

Rep. Andrew Young (D-Ga.), the man to whom Jimmy Carter says he most owes his campaign success, yesterday exhorted workers at Carter's newly-opened Roxbury head quarters to bring out the vote for their candidate.

"We have to get the word around that politics is the only game in town," the black congressman said, as he stood before a campaign poster chastising the seven million black Americans who did not vote in 1972.

Young stressed that "the ones who say 'My vote don't count' are the very ones who are unemployed, who are suffering."

The predominantly black crowd of about 100, many of whom wore buttons that showed Carter clasping hands with Rev. Martin Luther King Sr., responded favorably to Young, who predicted black voter turnout in November would be substantial.

"There's a racist notion that blacks sleep on the job," Young said. "Well, that's what got Nixon, McCord, Liddy and all the rest in trouble because they forgot about that guard at the Watergate," Young said. "That's what's going to get Evans and Novak."

Rowland Evans and Robert Novak are nationally syndicated columnists who have predicted that few blacks will vote this year.

"They [the polls] are saying a lot about undecided voters. You and I know black folk just don't like to tell white folk their business," Young said, explaining why black support for Carter, undetected by white pollsters, will propel the Democratic candidate to victory.