Ephmen Rip Booters, 6-2; Ford Uses Bench Freely

The Crimson booters lost their sixth consecutive game yesterday, bowing to a three-man wrecking crew from Williams, 6-2. John Friborg, who netted a hat trick and added an assist, combined with Henry Osborne and Fred Zeller to score all of the Ephmen's points.

Co-captain Lyman Bullard missed the contest with a pulled hamstring and forced Crimson mentor George Ford to change his lineup, but the coach went beyond replacing the senior forward and put a lot of new faces out on the field throughout the game.

"I think it's time that we began giving some playing time to the boys that will be playing for us next year," Ford said yesterday.

Perhaps because many of the substitutes were getting their first extensive playing time of the season, there was more visible enthusiasm on the bench than there has been in many recent home games.

Unfortunately, the new outlook on the bench couldn't change the all too characteristic play of the Crimson on the field.

After the two teams went through the first half hour of play without a score, Williams was awarded a corner kick and Zeller banged home a loose ball in front of the net to give Williams the first tally of the day.

The visitors padded their advantage less than three minutes later, when Zeller passed the ball toward the Crimson goal and Friborg headed it past Harvard netminder Fred Herold.

The Ephmen made a bid for more in the next few minutes, but Herold stopped a long shot by the right wing, and another booming kick sailed just over the net.

As the half came to an end, Harvard took control of the action but was checked by the Williams inner defense and got only a weak shot by Harold Martin to show for the effort.

In the early minutes of the second half, the Ephmen put the game away. Friborg converted another Zeller pass into his second goal of the day, and then got his third on an assist from Osborne off another corner kick.

In the next ten minutes, Harvard failed to convert on an astounding string of point-blank shots, including an indirect kick from only five yards out on which the Crimson booters failed to even get off a shot. Finally, Mike Lohrer dribbled through half the Williams defense and beat the second-string goalie for Harvard's first goal.

George Grassby added another goal later, but then Williams seemed to take heart after a shoving match between Ray Powell and Lohrer, and Osborne notched two quick goals to clinch the win, 6-2.