Horner Stays On At Time, Inc.

By Nicole Seligman

In late 1974, four-and-a-half months after Time, Inc. offered her a seat on its board of directors, President Horner accepted, convinced that her selection as the first woman director was not a token appointment.

Horner, who did not enter the job until late in 1975, said yesterday "at no time in the board room have I felt at all token--people have asked if I would talk about what is happening with women, but I am not there just to talk about women's issues."

But one year later, Horner remains the only outside woman director; since her appointment only one other woman, from the Time, Inc. staff, has received a directorship.

Horner said yesterday that a large part of her time on the board "has been a learning experience--I've learned from them, and much of that I've been able to bring back here."

But she said she has also been able to bring some of her academic expertise to the company. Explaining her role on the formerly all-male board, Horner said her particular fields--psychological training, experience in an educational community and research on women--have enabled her to contribute to the group.

More specifically, she said she has been able to participate through her work on morale, motivation and staff development.

Time, Inc. holds monthly directors' meetings, but Horner said she is not always able to attend.