Science Center: The 'Bomb' Fizzles

By Richard S. Weisman

An anonymous caller, who warned that a bomb had been planted in the Science Center and was set to go off at noon yesterday, failed to convince University officials that the threat was serious enough to evacuate the building.

A Centrex information operator received the threat at about 8:45 yesterday morning, and alerted University police who, along with members of the Cambridge police and fire departments, searched the building and found no evidence of explosives.

Instead of ordering the building evacuated, police officials, the Science Center's director, and members of the office of the general counsel decided to warn the building's occupants of the threat through verbal announcements and the posting of notices.

Despite the decision not to evacuate, several classes scheduled to meet in the Science Center at the time the bomb was supposed to explode were shortened or postponed.

According to David L. Gorski, chief of Harvard police, the caller did not state any motive for the planting of a bomb, except that "he had a beef against Kissinger and his interference in the Middle East."

The threat, Gorski added, "did not meet our criteria" for evacuating the building, although he declined to explain what those criteria are.

"Although I did not feel it was necessary to evacuate, I do feel it is necessary to alert people that there has been a bomb threat and they can make their own choice," Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University said yesterday.

Most students who approached the Science Center near noon yesterday appeared amused by the warning notices, which were posted on every door to the building, as well as in strategic locations throughout the structure.

Few students refused to enter the building because of the threat.

"It's a good place to be blown up," said John Trasvina '80, as he entered the building. "Besides, it's a life and death situation for me--I have to meet a friend to buy an Expos book in there at 12."

Joseph Soccorso, a Cabot Library I.D.-card checker, said he barely noticed that a search had been conducted.

"I did see a few of them [policemen and firemen] come in here," Soccorso said. "I imagine they did search."

Gorski said that although yesterday's search of the Science Center turned up no sign of a bomb, the search will not be continued.

He added, however, that "we're going to follow up on whatever information we have to apprehend the caller