Museums May Charge Fee To Offset Debt

By David A. Demilo

Two Harvard University museums, which reported a combined financial deficit of more than $55,000 for fiscal year 1975-76 are considering imposing admission fees on visitors not affiliated with Harvard.

Hale Champion, vice president for financial affairs said yesterday that fees might be necessary to offset operating costs at the Fogg Art Museum and Busch-Reisinger Museum of Germanic Culture.

Champion said that although the Botanical Museum lost $3000 this year and the Peabody Museum is operating on a "narrow margin", the Busch-Reisinger and Fogg Museums are the main areas of concern.

A financial report released Monday by the University revealed that the Fogg Art Museum is responsible for a $21,701 deficit, while the Busch-Reisinger's debt has increased to $35,839.

Outside Support

"These two museums have accumulated large balance deficits over the years," Champion said. He added that they "need more outside support" and will "have to make some changes to get things squared away."

Champion said that the Botanical Museum may remain in sound financial condition if it avoids continuing deficits during the next few fiscal years.

Richard G. Leahy, associate dean of the Faculty for resources and planning, said yesterday that the Peabody and Botanical Museums will begin to charge admission with the year, but persons affiliated with the University will not have to pay the charge.

Leahy also said it is "very feasible" that fees will be charged in the Fogg and Busch-Reisinger Museums. He added that fund-raising efforts are being planned for both museums.

Spirals

She added that the Fogg lost less money this year than last year, because of effective cost-cutting and successful efforts to generate more income.

Marcie L.G. Coburn, financial officer of the Fogg Art Museum, said yesterday that the spiraling costs of running the museum along with the museums's fixed income are the crux of the financial problem.

Coburn said that less than one-third of the Fogg's budget comes from endowment. The museum must rent classroom spaces, and seek government grants and contracts the offset the cost of running the facility.

Coburn said that in order to curtail the Fogg's expenses in the future, the museum staff "will have to think long in advance and make plans."

Turning the Corner

"Given these constraints, we're doing pretty well," Coburn said. She added that the museum has "gone through hard times" but it has "turned a corner."

"The Fogg is a teaching museum available to the public and its staff has every intention of keeping it alive," she said.