Sanders Says Cowens's Future Unclear

FISH TALES

By Daniel Gil

Well, Dave Cowens fans, here we go again.

Late Sunday night, Big Red was reported to be in Milwaukee swinging a deal to play under soon-to-be-hired coach Don Nelson. And the questions started flying.

Why wasn't Dave down on the farm in Kentucky? Was there some animosity between Cowens and members of the Celtics after all? Or was he unhappy with the extra rebounding burden placed on him with Paul Silas's departure?

Don't cross off the NBA finals from your spring reading period calendar yet, because Cowens was in Boston Sunday night, having a few beers with the guys at a roasting for John Havlicek.

Harvard basketball coach Tom Sanders (some people may remember that he starred for the Boston Celtics before he hit the big time at Harvard was there. He has seen Cowens a few times since he sent shock waves from TomHeinsohns ulcer all the way to the Los Angeles Forum. Although the leave of absence has been politely avoided in conversation, Sanders is as much an "expert" on Cowens's mind as anyone.

So how long will Cowens stay away? "Maybe the better question would be if he'll be back," Sanders said yesterday. Cowens is not the typical player. He thinks about why he is playing basketball.

When he decides to play, it is at a level of intensity that few can match, Sanders said. But when he no longer has his reasons to play there is nothing anyone can do about it, and it may not be a short term decision.

Swift Pace

Sanders said, "If I could have, I would have played for 30 years." Indeed, he played for as long as his knees would allow, but things are different now. "Certainly the same kind of money wasn't being made."

Large salaries allow players to make investments and develop interests other than basketball. Cowens's activities involve a large farm, a few enterprises in Boston, and his basketball camps. "Cowens is a busy man," Sanders explained.

Cowens's numerous activities off the court may have made the nightly exchange of elbows less appealing to him. But when and if Cowens returns, don't expect to see him in anything but the Celtics' green and white.

According to Sanders, there will be no trades unless someone is willing to "give up three or four franchises to Red [Auerbach, Boston Celtics' general manager]. Cowens is simply one of the superstars of the NBA."