Election Outcomes Are Mixed In Student and Alumni Races

By Harry W. Printz

Two Harvard undergraduates, two recent alumni and a Law School student stood for election yesterday, with mixed results.

Charles P. Smith '76-4, running without party affiliation, retained his seat in the Vermont State House of Representatives for two more years. Both parties had endorsed his candidacy.

Weston C. Loegering '77 lost his bid for the Minnesota State Senate to the Republican incumbent. With six of 20 precincts reporting at 12:15 a.m., Loegering had 41 per cent of the vote.

Never Say Die

At 2 a.m., Frederick D. Barton '71 had refused to concede his race for the Maine First District Congressional seat to one-term incumbent Republican David M. Emery. But with 64 per cent of the vote in, Barton had received only 38 per cent.

William C. Mullin '75, who ran for re-election to the Massachusetts State House of Representatives from Acton and Maynard, last night predicted he would win, but no votes in the contest had been counted at 1:30 a.m.

Barney Frank '62, a third year law student, was re-elected to his post as state representative from Back Bay and Beacon Hill. Frank had been challenged by Republican Hedda Christiani.