Eating Turkey Pastrami To Aid the World's Poor

By Gay Seidman

In the spring of 1975, the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life adopted a resolution asking that Food Services offer a meatless entree at every lunch and dinner--meatless, in this case, meaning fish, chicken or, well, meatless.

Food Services has complied ever since. But the menu gets a little boring, Kay S. Lacoss, associate director of the Food Services, said yesterday--"Chicken, chicken, chicken, turkey."

To alleviate the monotony, Food Services has experimented with alternative forms of meatlessness. Last year's symmetrical pseudochicken cubes have disappeared because General Mills has stopped producing soybean meat substitutes, and there are delivery problems with other soybean substitute producers. But Food Services is looking at other possibilities.

Among these, Lacoss said, are turkey ham, turkey bologna and turkey pastrami. Lacoss has tasted the ham substitute, and said it's pretty edible. And it's lower in calories and fat than regular ham, which--since CHUL's initial concern was with health and the world food shortage, not cost-is all to the good.

Yale has a separate serving line for vegetarians which students here always point out while complaining about the food.

Lacoss said Harvard would be happy to offer a vegetarian food line. Yale just happened to have an unused line, she said, and real estate like that is hard to come by at Harvard. "When a master offers his House for a vegetarian dining room, we'll take it," she said.