Kissinger Not Columbia-Bound Despite Reports

Reports yesterday that Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger '50 would accept a professorship at Columbia University next year are apparently false.

Kissinger, Kissinger Professor?

The Boston Herald American reported yesterday that it appeared "likely" that Kissinger would accept a permanent chair at Columbia endowed in his name.

But Harvey Picker, dean of Columbia's faculty of International Affairs, last night denied that the university had offered Kissinger a professorship.

John Murray, a Columbia spokesman, said yesterday neither the university's president or its vice president for academic affairs knew of plans to offer Kissinger an endowed chair.

Peter Perenyi, a spokesman for Kissinger's office in the State Department, said yesterday that Kissinger plans to stay on in Washington until January, but that the department would not speculate on his plans after that.

"That's news to us," Perenyi said when told of the reports.

WBZ radio in Boston also reported at 9 a.m. yesterday that Kissinger would teach at Columbia next year.

Dean Rosovsky said last night that when Kissinger was at Harvard on October 15, he said he "had no definite plans" if President Ford was defeated in Tuesday's election.

Rosovsky said he has not talked to Kissinger since the election.

According to the same Herald American article yesterday, Kissinger's other offers "reportedly" included "the vice presidency of Harvard University and Board Chairman of the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS)."

President Bok said yesterday that he does not know of any plans for Kissinger to return to Harvard, where he was a professor of Government until 1969.