Northeastern Tops Harvard J.V., 3-2

Huskies Score All Three Goals in Last Period

By Mark D. Director

After controlling play for the first two periods, the Crimson J.V. icemen crumbled under a heavy last-period Northeastern attack, dropping an exciting hockey game, 3-2, last night at Northeastern.

With a minute remaining in the game, Harvard coach Kevin Hampe removed Crimson goalie Barry Wald and added a sixth skater to the Crimson attack.

But the move backfired when Northeastern's Brian Moynihan grabbed a loose puck and pushed it into the untended Crimson net, giving Northeastern a 3-1 lead and a victory in its season opener.

The loss became even more heart-breaking for the Harvard J.V. when Crimson winger Mike Clasby, who scored both Harvard goals, batted an air-born puck into the Northeastern net with just three seconds left in the contest.

The first two periods were relatively quiet until Clasby slipped a rebound off a Kenny Durmitt shot by Northeastern goalie Dan Boland to give Harvard a 1-0 lead at 10:50 of period two.

Moynihan evened the score on the first of his two goals at 2:03 of the third period when he took a rebound of his own shot and beat Crimson goaltender Wald.

Constant pressure by the Huskies again broke the Harvard defense ten minutes later when Dave Mattingly, amid confusion in front of the Crimson net, scored to give Northeastern a one-goal lead--the ultimate margin of victory.

The Harvard attack was active all night, outshooting the Huskies, 61-45; but their shots were continually turned away by Northeastern's goalie Boland, who had 30 saves, 13 in the final period.

Leading the Crimson attack was the line of Clasby, Mike MacKinon, and center Steve Andrews. That threesome produced both Harvard scores and combined to keep constant pressure on Northeastern during the power plays.

Defensively, Crimson goalie Wald made 26 saves, and defensemen Dummitt and Robert Hulburd shut-off the Northeastern attack for the first two periods.

It was the Harvard defense that got the offense going after goalie Wald made two saves on consecutive one-on-one breakaways by Northeastern wingers Moynihan and Mark Dobie.

The ignited Harvard offense carried the action to Northeastern with crisp passing by Harvard's John Moot and Andy Spalding. Some deep penetration by center Mike Stewart added to the active pace that carried over from the first into the second period.

The win gave Northeastern a 1-0 regular season record and dropped Harvard's record to 2-1.